The Ohio Legislature unanimously voted to give Ohio Tax Commissioner, Jeff McClain, authority to extend the state tax filing deadline to July 15th. This would keep the Ohio tax deadline aligned with the federal filing date. Governor DeWine has indicated he would sign the bill.
Members of the Ohio Society of CPAs (OSCPA) were instrumental in moving this deadline. Over 4,000 messages were sent by OSCPA members asking state officials to move the deadline.
Other provisions of the bill include:
- Bar disconnection of public water service.
- Extend voting by mail to allow counting of absentee ballots postmarked by April 28.
- Make allowances for people whose licenses of various kinds will expire during the emergency.
- Grant local governments flexibility to meet remotely, with provisions for public participation
- Waive state testing and report cards for this academic year.
- Waive usual requirements to permit high school seniors who were on track before the crisis to graduate.
- Expand eligibility for unemployment compensation.
- Allow a one-time transfer from the Rainy-Day Fund this fiscal year, with Controlling Board approval.